To provide you with the best experience on this website, cookies are used. By using the site it's assumed that you're happy with our use of cookies. However, you can change your cookie settings at any time. More info on cookies.
Allow cookies

Disabled Facilities

St Ives welcomes disabled visitors but the town has some winding cobbled streets with hills and steps which can prove difficult for users of wheelchairs and mobility scooters. However, there is level access to most of the shops, cafes and bars around the Harbour, although we cannot guarantee the accessibility of every individual business. Please contact us if you would like further information


All accommodation is obliged to produce an accessibility statement which gives you specific information about the property including number of steps, width of doors, floor space in the room, bed height etc.  Most accommodation providers put this statement on their website but if not you can request it from them before booking. 

We recommend you discuss any specific access requirements directly with your hotel or guest house before you arrive, or at the time of booking.

Disabled Parking

There are disabled spaces in all the public car parks - these incur a charge.

Disabled badge holders may park on double yellow lines for a limited period (please check your badge literature for information and restrictions*).  Please be aware that many of town's streets have an additional yellow stripe running over the curb which means that parking here is completely prohibited. 

*Whilst we are happy to advise on disabled parking we cannot be held responsible for anyone receiving a parking notice as a result of illegal parking.

Blue Badge Parking in St Ives

Only Blue badge holders with Nil and Disabled tax discs are currently entitled to free parking in Cornwall Council car parks. However, as vehicles no longer have to display a tax disc, it’s difficult for Cornwall Council to identify those entitled to the free parking.

If you’re a Nil and Disabled tax disc holder, you should continue to display your tax disc until it expires.  After that you will need to register your vehicle’s details with Cornwall Council to continue parking for free in Cornwall Council car parks.

Register your Nil and Disabled vehicle’s details with Cornwall Council

Up to two weeks before your tax disc expires, or if you’re visiting Cornwall on holiday, contact Cornwall Council's Parking Service and give Cornwall Council your Nil and Disabled vehicle’s make, model and registration number.


Address: Parking Services, PO Box 664, TR1 9DH

Cornwall Council Parking Service will check your vehicle’s details and add them to the Council's system.  This will let enforcement officers on patrol see that your vehicle is allowed to park for free in Council car parks as long as a valid blue badge is also displayed.

Disabled Toilets

There are disabled toilets at the following locations:
  • West Pier (radar key) 
  • Sloop car park 
  • Porthgwidden beach
  • Porthminster beach
  • Porthmeor car park

Getting around

All the beaches have adjacent level concrete paths.

Beach wheelchairs and buggies can be hired from the cafes on Porthminster beach and Porthmeor beach. There is a map covering Cornwall highlighting the different locations where you can hire Beach wheelchairs.

Wheelchairs can be hired from Star Equipment Hire.

Mobility Scooters can be hired from HSC Mobility in Hayle.

Regular buses run to and from the Trenwith Coach & Car Park at the top of town.

A taxi rank is situated beside the Cinema and police station on Lower Stennack.

Guide Dogs

Dogs are banned from many of the beaches in St Ives during the holiday season (see dog friendly page for further infomation); however assistance dogs are permitted if the dog is needed in order for the visitor to access the beach.

The exceptions for assistance dogs are specific and set out in the Dog Control Orders:

(2) Nothing in this article applies to a person who: 
(a) is registered as a blind person in a register compiled under section 29 of the National Assistance Act 1948; or 
(b) is deaf, in respect of a dog trained by Hearing Dogs for Deaf People (registered charity number 293358) and upon which he relies for assistance; or (c) has a disability which affects his mobility, manual dexterity, physical co-ordination or ability to lift, carry or otherwise move everyday objects, in respect of a dog trained by a prescribed charity and upon which he relies for assistance. 
 (3) For the purposes of this article: 
(a) a person who habitually has a dog in his possession shall be taken to be in charge of the dog at any time unless at that time some other person is in charge of the dog; and 
(b) each of the following is a “prescribed charity”: 
(i) Dogs for the Disabled (registered charity number 700454); 
(ii) Support Dogs (registered charity number 1088281); 
(iii) Canine Partners for Independence (registered charity number 803680).


If you are coming by train or considering using the park and ride service based at Lelant Saltings, the train has a ramp that the train conductor can put out for you. It is recommended to phone in advance.