For the purposes of this policy:
- Any reference to "We/Our/Us" means the Visit St Ives Information Centre – run by St Ives Town Council - (henceforth Visit St Ives). "Providers" include any third party who offer and provide tourist facilities as listed on our website.
- We act as the agent for Providers when collecting information from you.
Visit St Ives recognises the importance of protecting the privacy of information. In processing the information you supply Us, we strive to comply with the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 as well as the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
This policy sets out how We use and protect any personal information that you give Us when you use Our website. If you have any questions about this policy or do not agree with it, please contact Us via email, before using our website. If this policy changes then it will be updated on this page. Last Update: 24/1/15
- What information do We collect?
- What do We do with the information We collect?
- Direct Marketing
- Email marketing
- Who do We share this information with?
- How to get copies of or amend the information We have collected
1. What information do We collect?
We may collect the following information when you use Our website:
- your name, postal address, telephone and fax numbers, email address, password and/or company details;
- your billing information such as debit and credit card numbers including the expiry dates, three digit security codes listed at the back of debit and credit card numbers;
- information regarding your accommodation needs including any special requirements
- information regarding your personal or professional interests, demographics, in order for Us or Providers provide you with further correspondence about their Our or any Provider's products or services.
- details of any disabilities that may affect you receiving any services offered through the Providers.
We collect this information only when you supply it to us. When We collect information from you, We will identify ourselves and inform you of the purpose for which We are collecting your information. If We are collecting information from you on behalf of the Providers, We will identify the relevant Provider and explain that We are acting as agent on behalf of the Provider in the collection of your information.
2. What do We do with the information We collect?
We use your information to provide you with a better service, and in particular for the following reasons:
- internal record keeping;
- to improve Our services
- to process your queries made via the search facilities listed on Our website and to correspond with you about such queries;
- to monitor site traffic;
- to register you with Our website
- to contact you for market research purposes
We will also pass on the information you supply Us to the Providers to enable them to:
- to process your reservations, booking enquiries, payments and any other queries;
- to send you details of your reservations or booking information and to contact you if they have trouble processing your booking, payments, requests or queries;
- to verify details relating to any requests for any information or requests which you make online; and
- to contact you for market research purposes.
We or the Providers may contact you by e-mail, phone, fax or mail, unless you have registered with the appropriate telephone/mail/fax preference service.
3. Direct marketing
[We] [or the Providers] may use your information to inform you about new features, promotions, special offers and other information which [We] [or the Providers] think you may find interesting ('Marketing Information'). [We] [or the Providers] may send you such information by mail, telephone or fax, unless you have registered with the appropriate telephone/mail/fax preference service. When you provide Us with information, you will be given the option to let Us know that you do not want your information used for direct marketing purposes either by Us [and/or the Providers]. If you request this option, We or the Providers will not send you any direct marketing material.
Please note that whilst We strive to inform Providers that you do not wish to receive Marketing Information, We will not be held responsible if they continue to send you Marketing Information.
If you change your mind and at any time by contacting Our data protection compliance officer by email
4. E mail marketing
We [or the Providers] would also like to provide you with Marketing Information by email. However, We [or the Providers] appreciate that email "spam" has become a problem in recent years.
When you provide Us with personal information, We will ask you whether or not you are happy for Us [or the Providers] to send you Marketing Information by email.
If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive emails in connection with Marketing Information from Us, please contact Our data protection compliance officer by email (if you use more than one e mail address to communicate with us, please notify Us of each e-mail account you use)
If you decide at any time that you no longer wish to receive emails in connection with Marketing Information from any of the Providers whom We pass your personal information to, please contact the appropriate Providers individually to notify them of your change of mind. Please note that whilst we strive to inform Providers that you do not wish to receive Marketing Information by email, we will not be held responsible if they continue to send you Marketing Information by email.
5. Whom do We share this information with?
We may transfer, disclose, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties, unless you tell Us that you do not wish this to happen. This may include direct marketing agents.
At any time We may need to send your personal information to other countries, whose data protection laws may not be as extensive as in the European Economic Area. [However, We have taken appropriate steps to ensure the same level of protection for the processing carried out in these countries as within the European Economic Area.]
6. How to get copies of or amend the information We have collected
You may request details of personal information which We hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please email Our Data Protection Compliance Officer by email
You may also request details of personal information held by the Providers about you by contacting them individually.
If you think any information We have about you is incorrect or incomplete, please write or e-mail Us as soon as possible. We will correct or update any information as soon as possible. If you think any information the Providers have about you is incomplete, please write or email them individually.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. Unfortunately no data transmission over the Internet is 100% secure. As a result, while We strive to protect your information, We cannot ensure and do not warrant the security of any information you transmit to Us via Our website and you do so at your own risk. Once We receive your information, in order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, We have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information We collect on line.